One crazy week

I’m sure you’re aware of the flexibility needed to travel full-time. If you’ve traveled anywhere, you’ve encountered delayed flights, uninviting hotels, full hotels, dirty Airbnb accommodations, sickness, high gas prices, and the like.

Travel is crazy no matter how you do it.

When we started this full-time lifestyle two and a half years ago, I knew I would need to learn how to be flexible. I knew that life would be somewhat different than our “normal”. The four of us really do strive to work together as a team. The rv lifestyle is a lesson in teamwork. Everyone has a job that must be done in order to make life work, but everyone must be willing to scrap that plan and rush to another task when the plans change.

This week has been crazy, even for us.

It started out well. We drove up the California Coast and stayed with some sweet friends. I always look forward to our visits with them. I leave feeling refreshed and having a “full” soul. Some people are draining to be with; they seem to suck the life right out of me. But these friends are jewels.

Our trip was beautiful. We were flexible with the insane traffic; we rerouted and kept going. Very little chaos happened the first few days of our week.

We arrived back at our site and settled back into routine.

Then, while I was putting a lasagna together for dinner, I received a phone call from our ranger.

“There is a fire in the park. You guys may need to evacuate.”

My mind instantly said, “First of all, I’m making dinner and don’t have time to pack up right now. And, second of all, I don’t smell smoke.”

I looked at Mike when I got off the phone with the ranger and told him what she had said. “Would you go see what’s up, please?” ( Note-yes, we are one of those families that uses “please” and “thank you” to each other.)

“Oh, sure,” he quickly closed his MacBook and walked out of the rig.

I kept assembling my beautiful lasagna as though no phone call had taken place.

A few minutes later, Mike opened the door to our rig and said, “Guys, we have to go.”

Once again, I thought of reasons why I couldn’t leave right then. Then I argued with myself that Mike and I had already discussed what we would do in case of a fire in the park.

“Okay, let’s make this happen!” I looked at our kids and they instantly went to their room to get it into travel mode.

We left.

Four hours later, the firefighters and CalFire had the blaze under control. We were able to return to our site that night. The wind had changed directions from blowing towards our area to blowing towards the interstate. Flames leaped the highway, and firefighters were able to extinguish them. Traffic was backed up for miles as lanes were shut down.

But no one was hurt, and those blessed fire men and women did an amazing job.

As it was after 10pm when we came back into the park, we pulled into the driveway of our site and slept for the night. Mike and I didn’t sleep much as we kept looking for flames and any sign of smoke. There were firefighters in the area all night. Thankfully, nothing else came of the smoldering embers that were left from the fire.

All in all, we hugged each other a little tighter and said a thank you to God for keeping us safe.

Yours Truly,


2 thoughts on “One crazy week

Add yours

    1. Being some what prepared helps me with that kind of anxiety. Mike and I had decided when we first came into this park that if there were a fire on our side, we would leave. Having some kind of plan really helps my “indecisive” nature.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Create a website or blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: